Logging across timezones

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:51 PM
Edited Mar 30, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I have a situation where I am logging across multiple servers in different timezones.  The log4net FAQ says:

The timestamp is created when the logging event is created. That is so say, when the DebugInfoWarnError or Fatal method is invoked. This is unaffected by the time at which they may arrive at a remote server. Since the timestamps are stored in UTC format inside the event, they all appear in the same time zone as the host creating the logfile. Since the clocks of various machines may not be synchronized, this may account for time interval inconsistencies between events generated on different hosts.

But I see the logs turning up in the originating logger's timezone.

Do you know whether there is a way to force log4net to use UTC timestamps?

This page suggests that I use %utcdate, but I was wondering whether there was another way.

Update: I just tried this option. Something odd is happening because it logs to the console in UTC time, but the time going to the remote service is still my local time.  I've changed both the local .config (where the logging is starting) and the remote .config (where the Logging Service is running), and nothing seems to help.  It looks like the Logging Service is assuming that the time it receives is in Logging Service local time.